Thursday, May 29, 2003





Wilson's Warbler




Went poking around the meadow today, thinking I would look for some warblers. I finally saw some after standing for about 20 minutes up to my knees in long grass and thistles. I had to work hard to identify the Wilson's Warbler because I spent most of the time looking at females, which are completly non-descript. The fact that they flutter around a lot and like to hide behind alder leaves that are always bigger than they are didn't help.



Finally, after patiently scanning the edge of the wood, I saw a male, and his black cap gave him away. A quick check of the field guide confirmed that the others were definitely females. Yay. Hunting warblers requires the patience of a monk at times.



Other birds spotted, and recorded here for posterity:





  • American Robin

  • Chestnut-backed Chickadee

  • American Crow

  • Raven

  • Stellar's Jay

  • Red-shafted Flicker

  • White-breasted nuthatch

  • Swainson's Thrush

  • Violet-green swallow

  • Canada Goose

  • Song Sparrow

  • Warbling vireo





No comments:

Post a Comment