Thursday, October 16, 2003

Here on Canada's "wet coast" we have as mnay kinds of rain as there are kinds of snow in the north. On the west coast of Vancouver Island the Nuu-Chah-Nulth folks have lots of different names for rain. I'll have to collect some of them some time.



Since I have lived out here I have collected lots of different names for rain too, especially at this time of year, when discerning the differences between types of rain passes for a semi-serious avocation. One day I'll publish the list.



Today though, I invented a new name. Last night's rainfall was heavy and steady, like a summer cloudburst that lasted seven hours. When I looked out at the rain in the cold steely grey morning light it occurred to me that this was "rain-that-is-being-thrown-from-the-sky."







No comments:

Post a Comment