Thursday, March 11, 2010

Soughing

Always looking for new names to describe what is going on around here.  Richard Smith over in Tunstall Bay discovered this gem:

I don’t think I had ever heard this word “soughing” before it was offered up as a translation for a phrase in Chinese. My son and I were in a market in Hangzhou, China, and were taken with a scroll that we saw. We asked the graduate students who were showing us around for a translation of the text, and were told that it was “the soughing of wind in the the trees looking over the sea.” A more appropriate phrase I couldn’t imagine for our home on an island, surrounded by tall trees, and overlooking the ocean. We bought the scroll and have it posted in our home, facing the ocean. The dictionary definition is “(of the wind in trees, the sea, etc.) make a moaning, whistling, or rushing sound.”

No comments:

Post a Comment